1/20/10

Blake Is Here!

Sorry I'm so late in updating the blog but we've been busy because...Blake is here! Blake Hayden Smith was born on Friday, January 8, 2010 at 3:03 PM He weighed 7 lbs 4 oz and was 19 inches long. It was a crazy day! I'll try and keep the story short...Friday morning I felt dizzy and short of breath after getting in the shower so I sat down while still in the shower and blacked out for what was probably a few seconds. I called Randy and he rushed home to take me to the doctor. They hooked me up to a monitor just to make sure things were okay with the baby. We thought we'd just make sure the baby was okay and then go home but then the monitor showed I was having a contraction. I felt a tightening of my stomach but it didn't really hurt. If the monitor hadn't registered it as a contraction I would not have known that's what it was. The nurse thought that was odd so we waited to see if it happened again. 9 minutes later, it did. A few more minutes later it did again. At my 37 week appointment just 4 days before I was 0 cm dilated and 0% effaced. Now I was 2 cm dilated and 70% effaced - a very early stage of labor for someone having a normal delivery but they didn't want me to go into labor since I was scheduled for a c-section. So I was admitted to labor and delivery to get some fluids to try to stop the contractions and continue monitoring. Randy went home to get a few necessities but not a whole lot of things because I honestly thought we would go home. And at that point, we didn't have a hospital bag packed and the car seat wasn't installed in the car yet. Meanwhile, the contractions kept on coming. 2 hours later I was 3 cm dilated and 80% effaced. The doctor said, "Looks like today is a good day to have a baby!" An hour or so later, Blake was born! We're having fun learning about everything he needs and getting to know his little personality.
Here's a link to a video with some pictures.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySdwQP3TCt4

Also, here are some before and after nursery pictures...finally!
http://picasaweb.google.com/amandajrsmith/Nursery?feat=directlink

We'll update soon with more pics!

No comments:

Post a Comment