12/17/09

34 Weeks!

Randy and I both agree that something has happened over the past week or so and all of a sudden I'm so much bigger. He likes to say that my belly looks like a torpedo when I'm walking around and that I look like a buddha when I'm sitting down. Luckily I don't take offense to either of those. There's no doubt that little Blake is growing right along in there. He's weighing almost 5 pounds now. My 34 week appointment was on Monday and the heartbeat sounded great. I'll go in 2 more weeks at week 36 and then every week after that to see how things are progressing. Hopefully nothing will be progressing until week 40. We want him to come as close to his due date as possible so that his birthday is not too close to Christmas.

Even after our childbirth class I wasn't really that nervous about the delivery. We didn't watch any crazy videos and they told us what to expect from labor, where to go, who to call, etc. I only got one "Is she kidding? I can't do that." look from Randy when they talked about labor and how the father could watch the birth. So all was good...and then a couple of nights later I was looking through this magazine they gave us that has pictures and descriptions of each month of pregnancy. I'm flipping through, flipping through, and I get to month 9. Big mistake! There was a picture of a woman lying down, spread eagle, giving birth with just the baby's head sticking out! To hear all of these things about the birth was one thing but to get a visual was a completely different thing! I don't know what scared me more - that there was a baby coming out of her or that she was lying there exposed for everyone in the room to see! I know women do it every day and somehow I will too but still, I regret looking at that magazine. And thank God for epidurals! Oh, and I immediately told Randy not to look at that magazine.

1 comment: